DOH says dengue picking up in PH - Manila Standard

2022-09-16 18:59:35 By : Ms. Lijuan Zhong

Dengue cases since January 2022 reportedly went up  to more than 73,000, of which over 18,000 have been logged in the past weeks alone, the Department of Health (DOH) said Monday.

DOH officer-in-charge Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said a total of 18,699 dengue cases were recorded from June 12 to July 9.

This brought the total dengue caseload in the country this year to 73,909.

Vergeire said the regions with the most dengue cases were Central Luzon, Cagayan Valley, and the National Capital Region (NCR).

“Right now, our campaign against dengue continues where we are mobilizing our local governments to do the 4S strategy and also mobilize their dengue brigades,” Vergeire said.

The 4S protocols included search and destroy breeding places; use self-protection; seek early consultation; and support fogging or spraying in hotspot areas, especially during the rainy season.

The DOH, along with the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), released a joint advisory on Sunday, reminding the public that only scientific solutions can solve the country’s health problems like dengue.

They said that vector control, and not placing frogs and fishes in swamps and stagnant water, could help curb the increasing dengue cases in the Philippines.

“This kind of practice can destroy our ecosystem because frogs are invasive species. They could also pose health risks and poison our countrymen and their pets,” Vergeire said.

Vergeire earlier this month said the increase of dengue cases in the country is already alarming as some individuals are now being admitted in hospitals. Willie Casas

She also said the DOH is open to studying again the possible evidence presented by dengue vaccine Dengvaxia in protecting the people against the virus.

Several government agencies including the DOH on Sunday told the public that vector control, and not placing frogs and fishes in swamps and stagnant water, could help curb the increasing dengue cases in the Philippines.

“Dengue is caused by a virus that is transmitted through a vector, the Aedes sp. mosquito. The main solution to the dengue problem is vector control, that is, to destroy the breeding grounds of these mosquitoes,” the advisory read.

“Releasing invasive species of frogs and fish is NOT the scientific solution. To do so would risk human health, and may also destroy ecological balance leading to other worse problems in the natural environment, like issues in food supply,” it said.

A total of 16,324 dengue cases were recorded in the country from June 5 to July 2, 2022, according to DOH.

All taken, 65,190 dengue cases were registered nationally from January 1 to July 2, 2022, which was around 83% higher compared to the cases reported during the same period last year.

A total of 274 Filipinos have also died due to dengue, DOH added.

Vergeire earlier this month said the increase of dengue cases in the country is already alarming as some individuals are now being admitted in hospitals.

Vergeire also said that DOH is open to studying again the possible evidence presented by dengue vaccine Dengvaxia in protecting the people against the virus.

Some barangays have released hundreds of frogs in the environment hoping to eradicate dengue-carrying mosquitos.

Gov. Mamintal Adiong Jr. of Lanao del Sur said residents of Marawi who lost their homes during the 2017 battle...

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has named James Arandila Layug, a former official of the Department of Information and Communications Technology...

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has official designated lawyer John Rex Laudiangco as spokesman and acting director of the poll...

The government of France is committed to preserve the multilateral order, rule of law, freedom of navigation and overflight before...

The Department of Health (DOH) is pushing for an amendment to the Magna Carta of Public Health Workers to cover...

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Friday lauded the remarks and insights of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. that there...

The National Federation Of Women’s Club (NFWC) celebrates its 101st anniversary with a national conference graced by Senator Cynthia Villar...

The government of France is committed to preserve the multilateral order, rule of law, freedom of navigation and overflight before...

The Department of Health (DOH) is pushing for an amendment to the Magna Carta of Public Health Workers to cover...

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Friday lauded the remarks and insights of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. that there...

The Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor (PCUP) on Friday clarified that it has returned to the Department of the...

Manila Standard website (manilastandard.net), launched in August 2002, extends the newspaper’s reach beyond its traditional readers and makes its brand of Philippine news and opinion available to a much wider and geographically diverse readership here and overseas.

In tone and content, the online edition mirrors the editorial thrust of the newspaper. While hewing to the traditional precepts of fairness and objectivity, MS believes the news of the day need not be staid, overly long or dry. Stories are succinct, readable and written in a lively style that has become a hallmark of the newspaper.

6th Floor Universal Re Bldg., 106 Paseo De Roxas cor. Perea Street, Legaspi Village, 1226 Makati City Philippines

© 2021 Manila Standard - Designed and Developed by Neitiviti Studios.

© 2021 Manila Standard - Designed and Developed by Neitiviti Studios.

Login to your account below

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.